Sunday, July 19, 2009

Assignment 5 - Notion of Colouful Asia

For Assignment number 5, we are required to create a post card for theme “Our notion of colorful Asia”. The postcard could be with regards to any aspect like the cultural, political or the social aspect. I wanted to use a theme which is something different from the usual theme like food or costume. I started brainstorming about the different possible themes which I can focus on something like a national symbol which is kind of unique and special to one’s country. Then I decided to focus on one country that has an animal as a national animal and that is China. Panda is well known considered as China’s emblem. The below is the design of my postcard that I had chosen after the exploration of colour. I decided to use dark blue as it has the same calming effect as the panda and also blue has modernization effect where China is moving towards.


Design of postcard



Exploration of colours



During tutorial, the comments given by Jing and my peers was that the design was too simple and my panda looks cute, similar to the cartoon movie character of kung-fu panda, HAHAH!!. Also during consultation with Jing, she had asked me to think further about why is the panda standing up right and what's the meaning of the panda being in such a position. Therefore with the comments given i decided to add in a few more pandas in different position to show that the different angles and positions a panda can adopt. This is in relation to China , showing that China is a dynamic country and flexible in its approach in today's global society, in which they shift and revolve to depending to the different situation. This is portrayed by the various positions of the pandas and the swaying bamboo shoots.



Final prototype



No comments:

Post a Comment